Our Connection to God

It was the seventh and last day of our backpacking trip in the Sierras.  For the first six days, I had felt strong, energetic, and healthy, but as I picked up my pack on the morning of the seventh day, I felt a pain in my side.  The pain was in an area of my body where I had never felt pain before.  As I hiked down the last few miles of the trail to our car, the pain increased, my energy wained, and I had trouble retaining my food.

I was tempted to wonder what this pain was and why I was experiencing it, but a thought came to me: "Don't go there.  This is not about muscles, altitude, or food.  This is about your connection to God."

Then, I recalled that the previous day there had been some friction between me and another in our group.  Although the situation had been resolved, I had continued to ruminate about the incident instead of letting it go.  "Maybe", I thought, "this problem is the result of letting my thought dwell on that incident.... or maybe the problem is caused by thoughts and feelings the other person is harboring about me."  Again, the thought came to me: "Don't go there.  Inharmonious human thought, your own or another's, cannot touch you.  God is the only cause of your being and God is causing good.  All that matters is your connection to God."

That assurance, that there was no physical or mental power that could harm me, relieved my fear.  I tried to focus my thought on my connection to God.  The Bible tells us that God created us in His image, gave us dominion over all the earth, and that everything about our God-created identity is very good.  These thoughts helped me to complete the hike, but I was still not well.

As we drove home, I lay in the backseat of our car listening to hymns praising God and describing our relationship with hymn.  A hymn called "Satisfied" by Mary Baker Eddy grabbed my attention.  It spoke about God's goodness and love for man and God's ability to raise man up in the face of any difficulty.  As I contemplated these ideas, I felt the strength and compulsion to sit up.  I did and remained sitting for the rest of our drive. That night, I slept well, and the next day I ate normally and felt fine. 

The physical problem disappeared so completely without any lingering traces that at first I dismissed this experience.  "It was nothing", I thought.  But then I remembered - it wasn't about overcoming a physical or mental cause, it was about my connection to God.  Through facing this challenge I had a renewed and strengthened sense of my connection to God, of God's love and care for me.  I am grateful for that!

"Satisfied" by Mary Baker Eddy

It matters not what be thy lot.
So Love doth guide;
For storm or shine, pure peace is thine,
Whate'er betide.

And of these stones, or tyrants' thrones,
God able is
To raise up seed -- in thought and deed --
To faithful His.

Aye, darkling sense, arise, go hence!
Our God is good.
False fears are foes -- truth tatters those,
When understood.

Love looseth thee, and lifteth me,
Ayont hate's thrall:
There Life is light, and wisdom might,
And God is All.

The centuries break, the earth-bound wake,
God's glorified!
Who doth His will -- His likeness still --
Is satisfied.

2 comments:

Carey said...

This has really helped me. I felt "friction" with 3 individuals today and this is most unusual! I was feeling sorry for myself and found your blog site, and beautiful testimony... Thank you. I am satisfied that the friction I've felt will dissolve with God's love applied.

Colin said...

Thank you for your comment. God's love is awesome!