Witnessing what God is doing

I was with a group of teen-aged campers a few miles up a rocky, wooded canyon.  We were playing a game that involved running, when one of the campers fell on some rocks and cried out that he had injured his knee.  As he lay on the ground with the others gathering around, I reminded him what Mary Baker Eddy, a Christian healer, says about accidents in her book Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures.  She writes, “Declare that you are not hurt and understand the reason why, and you will find the ensuing good effects to be in exact proportion to your disbelief in physics, and your fidelity to divine metaphysics, confidence in God as All, which the Scriptures declare him to be.”

I told this young man some things the Bible says that could help him understand the reason why he could not be hurt.  In the book of Genesis it says that God created man in His image and likeness.  Could God’s image be hurt? No!  It also says that God gave man dominion over all the earth.  That should include dominion over rocks shouldn’t it? Yes it does!  And, it says that God saw everything that he had made and that it was “very good”.  A very good creation does not include accidents and injury.  In the book of Psalms it tells us repeatedly that God loves us dearly and cares for us (see for example Psalms 23 and 91).  This loving care includes protection and healing from accidents and injury.


At this point, I ran out of inspiring ideas to share with this young man.  “What do I do now?”, I wondered.  I felt like the situation required that I say or do something!  But the thought came to me, “God, not you or your words, is what has power and is healing this situation.  Be quiet and watch.”  Obediently, I was still and quiet.  So were the other campers.  It was not an anxious or restless quiet, but a peaceful anticipation.  I don’t know what my young friend lying on the ground was feeling or thinking, but after a minute or so a smile spread across his face, his eyes opened, and jumping to his feet he said cheerfully, “Thank you, I’m alright!” – and he was!  The rest of our day was filled with activity and he participated freely.


This experience reminded me of the message from God given to us by the prophet Isaiah (chapter 43): “You are my witnesses, says the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he.  Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.  I, I am the Lord, and besides me there is no savior.”


Often it may appear that God is absent or not doing anything to help us.  God’s help isn’t always apparent, especially to those not looking for it.  Sometimes we have to stop our efforts to do something, become still, and trustfully watch for what God is doing.  This stillness is not doing nothing.  During this physical pause, one should be mentally alert to the truth of God's power and Allness and be confidently anticipating the appearance of the physical evidence of this truth.  I am grateful to know that there is a God and to have witnessed God’s saving power that afternoon.

1 comment:

Melissa Hayden said...

Colin, this is great - a very clear statement of the immediate power and worth of prayer. Thanks for sharing.